Sunday, July 17, 2011

Gifted Hands: The Story of Dr. Ben Carson


Gifted Hands is the story of famous neurosurgeon Dr. Ben Carson.  This book is an in depth look at Dr. Carson’s rise from the poor neighborhood of Detroit being raised by a single mother to an internationally known neurosurgeon pioneering the way for Siamese craniopagus twins to be separated and both babies survive. 

Having gotten my degree in Biology, this book drew me in with all the biological terms and conditions as well as a closer look at what goes on in an operating room during a multiple day procedure.  I also loved the way that all through the book, the reader is constantly being reminded that even someone from the lowest economic level or worst home life can push past their own limitations to eventually go to Yale and become the Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at a renowned hospital like Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, Maryland.   

I had read this book a while back but when Dr. Ben Carson came to the college I attended to give the Commencement Speech to the graduating class, I immediately wanted to go home and read this book again.

I believe that this book will encourage you to reach past the limits others have placed on you and accomplish wonderful things in life.  


No comments:

Post a Comment