Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Wonderful World of Forensics



A dream of mine has always been to work in the field of forensics. I have always loved how science can be used to both free the innocent and prosecute the guilty.  I have followed everything in that field for a long time.  I have read up on the FBI, CIA, and all the other law enforcement acronyms. I am a big fan of TV shows including CSI, Major Crimes, and Quincy M.E. I know they aren’t like real life but they are fun to watch and you can occasionally learn something. I am looking into opportunities to continue my education in this field as well.

Recently I had the rare opportunity to attend a mystery writer’s conference in Nashville, Tennessee that had a forensics track.  I was able to hear FBI and TBI agents, private detectives, lawyers, and forensic scientists talk about real cases they have encountered and what was done to solve them.  But I have to say the highlight of the weekend was getting to hear a seminar by Dr. Bill Bass, the founder of the Body Farm at the University of Tennessee.  The Body Farm is located on three acres of hillside in Knoxville where people have donated their bodies to be studied by scientists to determine the effects of decomposition on the body due to various elements. To top it off afterwards I got to meet Dr. Bass and he signed a copy of a book that I bought which is written by he and Jon Jefferson under the pen name of Jefferson Bass. 

Also while I was there I bought a book called Beyond the Body Farm by Dr. Bill Bass and Jon Jefferson.  This is one of the few nonfiction books the duo has written that centers around the cases that Dr. Bass has come across in his many years of working as a Forensic anthropologist.  This book is full of strange cases that only science could solve.  If you are a fan of forensics you will love reading this book! 


No comments:

Post a Comment