Saturday, August 27, 2011

One Call Away by Brenda Warner


I have to say that before reading this book, One Call Away, I had never heard of Brenda or Kurt Warner.  I’m not really a big football fan.  I was drawn to this book because of the synopsis on the back.  My life, as well as most everyone else’s, has involved many difficulties and raw deals so when I saw a book about someone that has been through unimaginable difficulties and yet stayed strong and emerged on the other side better off than the were before, I knew this was a book I wanted to read.

Throughout this book, Brenda Warner shares candidly about her past and the things she has had to deal with, not mincing words or minimizing the pain and tears.  She had to deal with a son with permanent brain damage and blindness that never should have happened, a divorce, being betrayed, two miscarriages, and losing her parents in a tornado without getting to say goodbye.   Brenda did not just roll over and play dead when trouble she had to control over knocked on her door; she fought and walked through it leaning heavily on her faith in God.  Things did not get better immediately but she did find the man of her dreams and have seven children and together they are using their influence and money to help others that are in the same shape Brenda was in a few years earlier.

 I did like this book but I won’t lie. Not too far into it, I was tempted to just set it aside and not finish it, her problems were too terrible, they hit too close to home. But I forced myself to continue reading and am so glad that I did because not I know that if Brenda Warner could turn her life around and help people after what she had been through in life, then I could too.  My problems seemed so small compared to hers. 


1 comment:

  1. Wow! I had know idea the Warners had gone through all that. I've been a fan of Kurt Warner for a long time. Having just faced Irene, seeing the cataclysmic effects along the coast, there's so much to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete